Sunday, November 30, 2014

I'm About That (Sweet & Healthy) Life!

Lovelies! I hope all is well with you in your part of the world.
Thanksgiving just passed us by in the U.S. & I have yet to taste any of the desserts I made! Blasphemy.
Not sure why, because I'm usually all over the sweet potato pie situation. I guess my sweet tooth was not functioning this year.
I still want to share some healthy, delicious (almost unbelievable to some) vegan holiday desserts from some of my fave fellow bloggers. Let's go!

Apple Crumble Pie 
This comes from Nava Atlas' site VegKitchen, which features both vegan and vegetarian recipes. She's written many books on vegan and vegetarian cooking, as well as written tons of articles on healthy cooking which have been featured in VegNews & Vegetarian Times among others. I personally love apple crumbles and crisps because I'm not a fan of the flaky crust situation. If you are, I'll get you next time around =)






Bread and Butter Pudding
This kinda reminds me of a vegan UK version of the bread pudding I grew up on. Put custard in/on anything and I'm sold =\
Seriously, I became more aware of Jamie Oliver and his passion for healthy eating and healthy food awareness while I was in nutrition school at IIN. He's one of the good guys, it seems! You can find out more about his foundation here:


Oh yeah, here's the recipe!




Cheesecake!
This dessert choice is pretty self-explanatory. Although, I have found people either love cheesecake or hate it. Hopefully, you're on my side of the fence and enjoy this recipe.
Minimalist Baker is a husband & wife team based in Portland, Oregon, who developed their site in 2012. Their recipes "require just 10 ingredients or less (sometimes 7), one bowl, or 30 minutes or less to prepare". They feature many gluten free and vegan recipes. What's not to love about that?





My Sweet Potato Pie!
So I might be a bit biased, but here's my favorite vegan sweet potato pie recipe. I pretty much grew up on this stuff for Thanksgiving, and tweaked it a bit after I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan over 3 years ago. No one knows the difference. I guess until now? Haha. I've featured this on my blog somewhere before I'm sure, but here it is again. I'm really bad with measurements, because I pretty much bake these freestyle, but I tried my best to keep track of amounts and such. Play around with the spices until you get it to your taste. Enjoy!

Ingredients for two pies:
2 graham cracker crusts (ready to bake), or your choice of crust
4-5 moderate to large sweet potatoes/yams, baked for about an hour, then peeled when cooled
cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom  (to taste...I never measure-sorry)
1/4 cup organic white sugar, 
3/4 cup  dark brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
3/4 cup or so of vanilla almond milk
3-4 tablespoons flour
raisins (optional)
Blend all non-crust ingredients in blender until smooth. Spoon into crusts. Mix in raisins, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until toothpick comes out clean 


Now I want some dessert. What are your favorite holiday desserts? Share with us!
Remember, the key is not to stress over the holidays. Enjoy your treats, but also keep in mind that the important thing is the time you spend with your loved ones. Continue to stick to your healthy lifestyle and don't use the holidays as an excuse to run wild! Overindulgence and stress will only lead to frustration and derailment of your goals!

Love & Happiness,

Nikki

Nikki Thomas, RN, CPN, CHHC, AADP is a lover of life, health, and truth. I strive to help you find your balance and sanity in this occasionally insane world. I am a registered nurse, a board certified holistic health practitioner, life and health coach. Let's talk about health & wellness, fashion, beauty, and food! 
Find me at www.getthisglow.com
www.facebook.com/getthisglow
Instagram: @veganfashionista

No comments:

Post a Comment