Sunday, December 14, 2014

Not Your Ordinary Soup!

Hello lovelies! It's that chilly time of year when I reminisce about and crave soup. 
Sorry, not the canned type variety, but the hearty, Caribbean deliciousness that I grew up with. I was missing home #1 (NY) and home #2 (Trinidad) last weekend, so I decided to make a huge pot of comfort that would take me back to the happy parts of my childhood. Both my birth parents are Trinidadian, and I lived in there for 2 years while I was a toddler. My stepmother is from Jamaica, so this type of food is pretty much a part of my soul!  Many requested the recipe after I posted pics. Ask and ye shall receive.

Before you attempt this soup (if it's your first experience with West Indian cooking), please know that we don't like bland food. Spicy, flavorful, colorful celebrations is what we do with our nosh. Feel free to pull back, or omit some of the peppers that this recipe calls for, according to your taste. 
Also note that you can pretty much add whatever veggies you like to this soup. I added a few of mine to the "traditional" recipe out of either lack of having it on hand, or personal preference (my stepmother's yummy recipe calls for dumplings, chicken and/or beef added...but we be vegan round here!). Do what you like!

Nikki's Trini Lentil & Veggie Soup 💋

You'll need:

1 cup dried lentils (I used a combo of red and green)
4-5 cups of water to boil the lentils
2 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (you can soften in the microwave for a few minutes, or bake for 15 minutes)
2 large organic carrots, peeled and sliced at an angle
2 large potatoes, peeled (eddoes are traditionally used, but I didn't have any. They are kind of like white potatoes, but a bit sweeter tasting. FYI)
1 large sweet onion, diced or sliced
3 pimiento peppers, chopped
1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (WASH HANDS WITH SOAP AFTER HANDLING!)
1 leek stalk, chopped and washed thoroughly
2 cups baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1.5 cups kale leaves, chopped (I used this in combo with cilantro in place of traditional chadon beni leaves, which I didn't have on hand. Chadon (or shado) beni is a strong herb used Trini cooking. Another name is culantro, not to be confused with cilantro or coriander. They do smell very similar, though!)
2 large celery stalks, chopped
2 plantains or green bananas, sliced
1 Tbsp thyme, stemmed
2 Tbsp "green seasoning", or to taste (see below)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp unsalted vegan butter
Sea salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
6 cups water

Green seasoning~>used in the Caribbean to marinate and flavor dishes.  Again, chadon beni and Spanish thyme are the two main ingredients. There are many variations, but this is mine using cilantro and regular thyme, and it came out terrific! 

You'll need:

1-2 cups cilantro (or chadon beni, if you have)
1 celery stalk including leaves
1 whole head of garlic, skinned
1/2 bunch fresh basil
1/2 bunch fresh chives
1/2 bunch fresh thyme 
1/2 bunch Spanish thyme (if you have)
2 Tbsp pimiento peppers
1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, or milder pepper if desired
1/2 large white onion
Place in blender/food processor (I use my NutriBullet®)
Add just enough water to blend ingredients 
Place in glass jar in fridge (lasts up to a month), or freeze in ice cube trays until ready to use.

My Trini green seasoning 👍

Make your soup!
1. Cook lentils in water for about 30 minutes until soft
2. Chop veggies while lentils are cooking
*Here's where I stray off the beaten path. You can now add all the following veggies to pot and skip to step 3, or:
*add 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and brown onions and leeks for 5 minutes over medium heat, with dash of salt and pepper. Set aside in large bowl. Add sweet potatoes to pan, along with carrots and plantains. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes until browned. Add to bowl. Sauté mushrooms for 2-3 minutes; add to bowl. Place all browned veggies in pot with lentils and add 6 cups more water. Add remaining ingredients as instructed below.
✔️This extra step gives the soup a more robust flavor, in my opinion!
3. Add kale, white potatoes, 1/2 chopped scotch bonnet pepper, pimiento, celery, thyme, tomato paste, green seasoning, vegan butter, salt and pepper to pot. Stir, reduce heat to low, and cover.
4. Continue to cook for about 30-40 minutes, or until soup thickens.
Enjoy!


Lentils are a great vegan source of protein, and are pretty inexpensive. I use them in some of my "meat"loaf recipes and rice dishes. Love them.
My 15 year old had never had soup before (long story; he has a thing with hot liquids), but I made him some dinner rolls with this soup and he loved it! 
Put some music on and get in the kitchen! Tell me what you think if you try this recipe from my island.

Until next time.

Love & Happiness,
❤️ Nikki

Nikki Thomas, RN, CPN, CHHC, AADP is a lover of life, health, and truth. I strive to help you find your balance and sanity in this occasionally insane world. I am a registered nurse, a board certified holistic health practitioner, life and health coach. Let's talk about health & wellness, fashion, beauty, and food! 
Find me at www.getthisglow.com
www.facebook.com/getthisglow
Instagram: @veganfashionista



No comments:

Post a Comment