Sunday, June 17, 2012

Curried Chickpeas and Rice



Hello again, my lovelies! I was sitting around chilling yesterday (Saturday), when I suddenly had a craving for something "curried". Blame it on my Trini bloodline.
The wheels in my head started turning like it was my job! I decided on curried chickpeas and had everything I needed to make some (minus fresh ginger, but since there was ginger listed in my curry powder mix, I valiantly fought the urge to run to the store).

You can watch my stellar prep and performance in the vid below, but I want to warn you that I'm the type of cook who doesn't use exact measurements. However, I did pretty well in letting you know roughly how much of each ingredient was used.

I usually make a larger amount, but since it was just for myself and the manchild this time, I only made enough for two. Use 2 cans of chickpeas if you want to serve 4 people as a main dish, and roughly double the remaining ingredients.

So for this episode, you'll need:

(1) 15.5 oz can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans (reserve about 3/4 can of the liquid)
1 small to med onion
2 cloves of garlic
3-4 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbs fresh thyme (or cilantro if you prefer)
curry powder (to taste)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves 
1 cup water
cooked white rice (or brown if you prefer..I only eat white rice when I'm eating curry)
You can also eat with couscous, quinoa, bread...whatever grain you feel like. Shoot, it's all about what you feel like!


Optional:
Some people also chop 1-2 small potatoes and add to pan while onions and garlic are cooking, then finish cooking, covered with chickpeas.

This vid can also be found on my new YouTube channel www.youtube.com/veganfashionista


Hope you enjoyed my fancy-pants cooking vid! If you try the recipe, let me know what you think. Add your own twist and see what you come up with. Vegan cooking is simply the bomb!!!


Until next time,

Love and Happiness,


Nikki <3

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete